Dale Beaumont gives some top ideas on how to find content that appeals to newsmakers so you can get some PR for you business or product or service. Here is my summary followed by his video.
- New eg new report reveals, new legislation and how to deal with it, what is new that you have done
- Successful eg what has been successful about what you’ve done eg nominated for an award, eg local author launches book in panama
- Story behind the story eg Justin Herald started multi mill business with $50 borrowed from brother, eg turning points, life changing experiences, etc
- Statistics – media love stats so get hold of them, don’t need to be own surveys – use others results and bring them to light
- Perfect Timing – things you know are coming up can be timed with events, eg increase in interest rates if you’re a mortgage broker, travel warning if you’re a travel agent, Small Business Week, Relay for Life Day etc
- Emotional – something happened for you or clients that’s emotional
- Solving Problems – if you know common problems out there and can talk to solutions eg Spotless by Shannon Lush
- Commentary – news right now that you can talk to esp if relates to your product
- Counterpunch – Take the opposite view of everyone else and be topical about that
- Piggy Backing – find stories making news and jump on top of them
If you have the opportunity to go to one of his new 52 Ways seminars – take it and go. He gives a bucketload of information without high pressure selling. Genuinely useful and useable information – you just need to prioritise which of the many ideas you get will be most useful to you and apply it.
Obviously you can also join his paid membership!