Everyone loves free.
We all want to get something for nothing.
Funnily enough, there is a lot you can get for free. And that is especially useful when you are starting your online business on a shoestring. As you gain more experience and funds you can upgrade to even better products if they suit your need. In the meantime, if you use a free or open-source product, be sure to make a contribution or donation – whatever you can afford.
What goes around, comes around, you know 🙂
FREE HTML EDITORS – WEB PAGES
Kompozer is open source and I use it all the time. It is quick and easy but has a bucket load of functions. I rarely have any issues with it and it renders my pages fine.
FREE FTP PROGRAM
CoreFTP is what I’ve used for years. It’s not flash but gee it works for me. It’s easy to use, quick and I can set up lots of ftp access and back them up easily too. There are fancier, more popular ones around but this is great.
FREE KEYWORD RESEARCH
When it comes to researching Keywords, there’s a lot to learn. Google makes its Adwords tool available for all. The Google Keyword Tool is useful as a starting point although it’s only one of many tools in your arsenal. Step up to paid tools when you can.
On the basis you can’t have too many keyword tools, another great free one is Traffic Travis. You get more than one tool for free in this suite and it’s a great way to learn about SEO and Keywords at no cost but your time.
FREE FILE ARCHIVER (UNZIP TOOL)
7ZIP is my tool of choice. I find it handles nearly any file I throw at it to zip or unzip. It does zip and rar which are the 2 most common and more. Nothing flash about it, it just does what it says on the lid, and does it well.
You could also look up a range of others. IZArc is pretty good – I like the way it automatically opens the archive so you can see what’s in it.
FREE IMAGE EDITOR
If you had the money you’d buy something like Adobe Photoshop. If you don’t, you get your hands on GIMP. It’s the poor-man’s Photoshop but powerful enough for anyone. Manipulate or create images at will.
FREE VIDEO RECORDING AND EDITING SUITE
CamStudio is able to record all screen and audio activity on your computer and create industry-standard AVI video files and can turn those AVIs into Streaming Flash videos (SWFs). Jing is a sister tool that creates screen capture images and videos of up to 5min in length – very cool ‘cos it sits in your window ready to jump into action.
Use video software to create demos, frequently asked questions, tutorials, record a problem so technical support people ‘get it’, create information products, record techniques so you remember them, record procedures you follow and forget over time. Endless uses. And when you grow up you can get Camtasia here – it’s outstanding and can do way more.
FREE GRAPHICS, IMAGES
There’s a difference between ‘free’ and ‘royalty free’. Free means no cost to use; royalty free gives you a right to use the image but you normally pay for that right. ALWAYS check the rights you have to use any image.
- http://sxc.hu – need to register. Variable quality but improving all the time
- http://morguefile.com – great selection of free to use images and ones you can buy
- http://us.fotolia.com – register for free but images are very reasonable prices
- http://www.everystockphoto.com – an aggregator of images – not all free
- http://www.kozzi.com – register and get 30 images free a month – not vector ones though
- http://www.depositphotos.com – 5 free for 7 days but you need to subscribe
- http://flickr.com – public photos but be careful of rights
- http://pixabay.com – free images but again check rights
I’m sure there are more let me know if I’ve missed any.
If you find an image on Google search – check the usage rights. (go to /options/advanced search/usage rights)
Just bear in mind that in nearly all cases, you need to credit the source of the image. It’s best to assume you can’t use anything unless it says you can and under what conditions eg attribution. So play nice 🙂
All images in this article created by redhotinternetmarketing.com
BEST FREE CD/DVD BURNING SOFTWARE
- ImgBurn http://www.imgburn.com/
- Ashampoo Burning Studio Advanced FREE 2012 10.0.15 http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD- -Tools/Data-CD-DVD-Burning/Ashampoo-Burning-Studio-Free.shtml
- (Portable) CDBurnerXP http://www.cdburnerxp.se/en/features
- (Portable) cdrtfe 1.4.1 http://cdrtfe.sourceforge.net/cdrtfe/index_en.html
- (Portable) InfraRecorder http://infrarecorder.org/
- StarBurn http://www.starburnsoftware.com/products/starburn/features
- Hamster http://www.hamstersoft.com/free-burning-studio
To extract audio tracks from CDs and convert them to MP3, MP4/M4A, WMA, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC etc….:
To extract data from an unreadable disk
Love this site – some fabulous type and generously 100% free http://www.fontsquirrel.com/
FREE MINDMAP SOFTWARE
Great little software program to jot out your ideas, presentations, notes, whatever. Mind-mapping has tons of uses. Freeplane is freely available here – http://goo.gl/gEujb
FREE TITLE GENERATORS