Joomla 1.6 has been released and being a bumbling tech-head I wanted to check it out. I’ve been a Joomla user since the Mambo days so had been familiar with it but more recently I had been swayed to WordPress for its ease and simplicity. Joomla still has some nifty features and is IMHO more powerful than WordPress so it may not meet the average person’s need. but I thought ‘maybe the 1.6 version changes the game’ because it has been a MAJOR rewrite of much of the system.
So, if you want to know how to install and set-up Joomla 1.6, follow.
- download the compressed file and unzip it on your desktop/laptop (NB you can install other ways like through your webhost but I tried that twice and it timed out so I’m showing you exactly what I did – the manual option)
- while that’s downloading, set up the directory you want to use and set up a fresh database just for this Joomla 1.6 install. Keep your database details handy – you’ll need them shortly
- ok, so your Joomla 1.6 zip has downloaded and you’ve unzipped it. Now use your FTP of choice to copy all the files to the directory you want Joomla to operate from. I set up a folder within one of my sites for this purpose but you can install it in a root directory or a sub-domain if that suits you better.
- this will be your first positive experience of Joomla 1.6. All you need to do to start the install is enter your directory into your web browser address bar. In my case I set up a directory under http://glassceiling.info/leadership so I just entered that into the browser. Voila! The install program pops up and guides you step by step through the install – brilliant. Lots of explanation and tips throughout the process – good job guys! It checks that you have the right technical specs to actually perform an install, then it takes you through what language you want to use, what you will call your site (title and meta description and keywords can be included as well), database configuration, setting up sample data and it will not complete the install until you have removed the installation directory for security reasons – great move!
- Once you’ve finished, you can either go to the site or go into the backend to start working with the content of your site and it’s look and feel.
In terms of installation, this new version of Joomla is outstanding. It’s by far the easiest, most fool-proof method to install Joomla. that’s great news for less technically oriented users as Joomla could sometimes be a challenge to just get up.
Now, it’s as simple as it could be without someone actually doing it for you! Top marks to the entire team involved with Joomla 1.6!